OLIVIA GARDEN EUROPE and DENMAN INTERNATIONAL are forging a fresh collaboration as inaugural members of the HAIR TOOL COLLECTIVE. The senior teams of both companies have drawn up a charter that defines six clear sustainability aims for the hair tool industry and will be inviting other hair tool manufacturers and brands throughout the industry to join. In an unprecedented move, the competitors have joined forces to lead the way in building stronger industry wide commitment to improving sustainable practices.
Dr John Rainey MBE, Chairman of Denman International says “The Hair Tool Collective is the logical next step in our own sustainability journey. These six aims will maintain and assure our own commitment to sustainability but also, by encouraging collaboration with other companies in the sector, we’ll be helping reduce the negative environmental impact of the hair tool sector as a whole.” Kai Ziekursch, Co-General Manager of Olivia Garden Europe says: “It is deeply rooted in the Purpose of Olivia Garden to commit to greener hairdressing. And tools used by stylists in the salon every day have a significant influence on it.” Olivia Garden’s second General Manager André Harms adds: “In our sector, the quest for sustainability isn’t a solo battle. We’re excited to step beyond competition with this initiative with Denman International and invite more firms to join hands with us in this venture.”
The HTC endeavours to lessen the environmental impact and increase the sustainability of hair tool products with members committing to help bring greater sustainability to the daily lives of hair professionals. The charter has defined six shared objectives, with measurable commitments that aim to have a positive impact on the wider hair industry. The six objectives of the HTC charter are:
- Promoting sustainable products – We commit to developing and offering more sustainable products and continuously striving to reduce our ecological footprint throughout the lifecycle of our products.
- Encouraging responsible manufacturing practices – We will adopt eco-responsible manufacturing practices, aiming to minimize waste, optimize the use of natural resources, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We will also promote a circular economy by advocating for the reuse and recycling of our products.
- Measuring greenhouse gas emissions – We recognize the importance of measuring and monitoring our greenhouse gas emissions. By understanding our carbon footprint, we can identify opportunities to mitigate our impact and contribute to climate change mitigation efforts.
- Raising awareness and training hairdressers – We pledge to provide information and training on sustainable practices to hairdressers.
- Collaboration and knowledge sharing – We recognize the importance of collaboration among hairdressing industry companies to achieve our common goals. We will foster the exchange of knowledge, experiences, and resources, and encourage partnerships with other stakeholders committed to sustainability.
- Transparency and accountability – We will be transparent about our actions and progress in sustainability. We commit to measuring, monitoring, and regularly reporting our environmental, social, and economic performance.
Denman International and Olivia Garden believe that working together, corporations can make a meaningful difference in the lives of hairdressers, their clients, and the environment.