Hair loss can be a common concern among people with Afro hair and taking proactive steps to maintain healthy hair and scalp is essential. Jacqui McIntosh, European Education Director for Avlon shares her helpful tips, addressing the unique needs and challenges that people with Afro hair may face in preventing hair loss.
Jacqui says, “Preventing hair loss requires a holistic approach that includes gentle handling, proper hair care practices, adequate moisture, a nutritious diet, and a healthy lifestyle. By implementing these tips, hair will be nurtured, strengthened and the risk of hair loss reduced. Consulting with a Trichologist can also provide further guidance for unique hair needs.”
Gentle Handling and Protective Styling
- Avoid Traction and Tension
Choose for hairstyles that minimise tension on the hairline and scalp, such as loose braids, twists, or protective updos. Avoid tight ponytails, high buns, and hairstyles that pull on the edges. Edge products can help fuse hair together when designing braids and twists and protein styling gels prepare hair for molding, sculpting or waving.
- Be Mindful of Weaves and Extensions
If wearing weaves or extensions, ensure they are properly installed and not too tight. Avoid leaving them in for extended periods to prevent hair breakage and damage to the natural hair. Keeping your scalp moisturised whilst wearing your weave is important, using a light oil such as KeraCare Essential Oils absorbs easily without leaving a heavy, greasy build-up.
Moisture and Hydration
- Deep Conditioning
Regular deep conditioning is required to keep afro hair hydrated, cuticles re-aligned and soft. This is important when reducing breakage. KeraCare Restorative is a specialised blend of fruit extracts that work to enhance elasticity, helping the hair to withstand styling without incurring further damage.
- Protective Styling with Moisture
Before styling, apply a moisturising leave-in conditioner or hair oil to provide added hydration and protection, which will help to retain moisture in the hair shaft and reduce breakage. This will improve the surface properties of the hair leaving it smooth with lots of sheen. KeraCare Overnight Moisturising Treatment strengthens the hair to help prevent breakage, formation of split ends and premature shedding.
Proper Hair Care Practices
- Shampooing and Co-Washing
Use a sulphate-free shampoo and focus on the scalp while cleansing as this is important for optimum scalp care. Utilising co-washing in between shampoo regimes will help to minimise dryness and maintain moisture if using a high pH shampoo. You want to retain the natural emollients and prevent stripping moisture from the hair which is so vital for curly hair textures. Silicone-free co-washes leaves hair prime for growth.
- Gentle Detangling: A good hydrating, detangling shampoo will remove excess oils from without stripping the hair or scalp. Detangle your hair carefully using a wide-toothed comb or your fingers. Start from the ends and work your way up, removing knots and tangles without causing unnecessary hair breakage.
- Satin or Silk Pillowcase and Hair Covering: Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase or wear a satin/silk scarf or bonnet to minimise friction and protect your hair from drying out. These fabrics also help preserve moisture.
Nutritious Diet and Healthy Lifestyle
- Balanced Nutrition, Hydration and Stress Reduction
Consume a well-rounded diet that includes fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. These nutrients support overall hair health and growth. Drink an adequate amount of water daily to keep your body and hair hydrated. Implement stress-reducing activities like exercise, meditation, or hobbies to minimize stress levels, as high stress can contribute to hair loss.
Regular Scalp Care
- Massaging your scalp regularly to improve blood circulation and promote a healthy scalp environment.
- Avoid Excessive Heat: Minimise the use of heat styling tools like flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers. When using heat, apply a heat protectant to shield the hair from damage.
KeraCare Edge Tamer
KeraCare Wax Sticks,
KeraCare Protein Styling Gel
Moisture and Hydration:
KeraCare Restorative Masque,
KeraCare Strengthening Thermal Protector
KeraCare Overnight Moisturising Treatment
KeraCare Natural Textures Honey Shea Co-Wash
KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo.
KeraCare Detangling Mist